Adolescent "Teen" Education Program
Submitted by admin on Mon, 05/18/2015 - 14:07
This program is part of our comprehensive program serving adolescents. First-generation teens face complex situations that require culturally competent, culturally sensitive responses. Many of our teens have been separated from their families for years before entering the United States. Teens can experience grief when they leave loved ones behind and adapt to new family members. Helping teens cope with the issues surrounding family reunification and cultural divides is critical to our success in helping youth build confidence and make healthy life decisions. The education components of this program include:
- School advocacy and collaboration with school counselors;
- The summer Urbanito Program, which provides job readiness, job opportunities, a community project, and field trips;
- An after-school program with the following components:
- Regular health education workshops;
- Tutoring, SAT preparation, college tours, and English classes;
- Senior Day, which provides intensive support for college applications and scholarships;
- Community projects, including building support and raising money for our Urbanito Scholarship Fund; and
- Community involvement including testifying before the City Council and participating in community health fairs and peer education.
Click here to see what colleges and universities our teens are applying to!
Education - This is a contributing Drupal Theme
Design by WeebPal